Komoot is a service that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with its easy route planner. Driven by a love for nature and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, komoot helps you explore more of the great outdoors—wherever and however you want. And we’re good at it. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times. Today, with over 30 million users and 300,000 five-star reviews, we are well on our way to becoming the most popular app for finding, planning, and sharing adventures worldwide.
Join our remote-working team and start your adventure with komoot.
About the role
Working on the komoot web app means you’ll be in a challenging, rewarding role and have a direct impact on the millions of people who use it for their outdoor adventures, both big and small. The feature-rich web platform allows users to plan routes down to the smallest detail, create shareable Highlights, use a live-tracking tool, and take part in a thriving on- and offline community.
As the Team Lead Web Development at komoot, you’ll lead, develop, and grow a highly motivated team of (currently) five web developers and help shape the future of our web app. You’ll guide, recruit, and onboard team members, as well as redesign and adapt the way we work together as our team evolves. You’ll strive to build an industry-leading web team that helps komoot.com become the world’s leading outdoor platform.
Ready for your next adventure?
What you’ll do
– Be the advocate and voice of the web team at komoot.
– Build and develop your team: Recruit, onboard, and mentor web developers.
– Monitor your teammates’ performance, coach them on professional and personal development, conduct salary negotiations, lead hiring and offboarding processes.
– Foster collaboration, knowledge sharing, and skill development among team members.
– Establish best practices for team processes.
– Set goals for team development and technical innovation, and ensure your team achieves and is celebrated for them.
– Help the team build a modern and effective tech stack at an industry-leading level.
– Keep an overview of modern web technologies, manage technical projects, and orchestrate technical decisions.
– Manage external services and tools, and oversee contracts with vendors and suppliers.
Why you will love it
– Your work will contribute to helping millions of people enjoy lovely outdoor experiences.
– We’ve been a remote-working company since 2017, meaning: We are remote by default, have frameworks and systems in place, and know how to do it well.
– You’ll become an essential part of our diverse and international team with colleagues based in 15+ countries across Europe.
– 38 paid days off (inclusive public holidays) – you are free to take those days whenever it suits you, including a well-deserved winter holiday break.
– We love seeing people grow. That’s why each team member gets €2,000 and 3 additional days to spend on professional development each year. Classes, conferences, books – your choice!
– Costs covered for your co-working space membership or your work-from-home office setup and the latest devices and equipment to do your best work.
You’ll be successful in this role if you
– Are a passionate team leader with a solid technical background in web development.
– Have 3+ years of experience as the lead of a high-performing team.
– Have 3+ years of experience as a web developer.
– Know how to build scalable web apps with NodeJS/ReactJS, TypeScript, and run them on cloud platforms.
– Share complex ideas in clear and straightforward language.
– Can make tough decisions and take responsibility for their consequences.
– Find satisfaction in enabling your colleagues to thrive.
– Have strong moderating skills to bring discussions to a successful conclusion.
– Show empathy for your colleagues as well as being able to give direct and sometimes uncomfortable feedback.
– Communicate well in a diverse, international, and fully remote team.
– Know that team comes first and you go second.
– Not sure if you meet all requirements above? Don’t sweat it – if you think you’re the right person anyway, we’d love to hear from you!
Curious about how we work?
– Core Communication time between 10 am- 3 pm (Berlin Time). We know people have different lifestyles, which is why we have flexible working hours with core time for synchronous interaction. You can organize your workday in the way that best suits you, your family, and your needs.
– We work on a project basis in squads and teams to ensure that we collaborate on our goals, move forward smoothly with open lines of communication, and achieve results as a team.
– Every Monday morning, we have a whole-company presentation where you hear about projects across the business, inspire each other, and share great work.
– We connect in-person at three whole-company gatherings each year in beautiful locations. You can check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote.
– We use tools like Trello, Slack, Miro, Zoom, and Google Drive on a daily basis to stay connected, collaborate easily, and manage projects.
We support diversity and inclusivity and welcome all prospective applicants. We have a rolling recruitment process – if this role is online, it means it’s still open.