OUTGROWN YOUR OWN BACKYARD? COME PLAY IN OURS.
At Columbia, we’re as passionate about the outdoors as you are. And while our gear is available worldwide, we’re proud to be based in the Pacific Northwest, where natural wonders are our playground.
Every product we make and every task we undertake is inspired by the famous words of our founder Gert Boyle: “It’s perfect. Now make it better.” As pioneers of relentless improvement, we are constantly evolving.
We believe the outdoors is ours to protect and strive to keep our planet healthy. We believe in empowering people to experience the outdoors to the fullest.
And we believe in you.
ABOUT THE POSITION
With over 430 retail stores worldwide, our Store Leadership Teams are essential to our business. From ensuring effective store operations, strategies, and procedures, to guiding and developing team members, our Store Leadership Teams help create memorable consumer experiences while supporting and helping drive the company’s mission of “Connecting Active People with Their Passions.”
As an Assistant Store Manager, you will be a key member of the Store Leadership Team and you will assist the Store Manager to ensure effective store operations. This role executes strategies to improve customer service, drive store sales, and increase profitability. By being a positive role model and leader, the role will support the Store Manager in creating an environment focused on positive teamwork and excellent customer service.
HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Provides leadership and direction to the diverse store staff, including supervisors and associates.
- Executes and supports plans to enhance employee productivity and performance.
- Assists the Store Manager in interviewing, hiring, training, and coaching of a diverse staff as necessary.
- Provides coaching and direction on a day-to-day basis to ensure staff performance standards are met.
- Maintains appropriate inventory levels through effective replenishment, organization, shrink control and communication.
- Assists the Store Manager with the development and implementation of action plans to address any issues relating to store sales, goals, safety, training and personnel development.
- No specific education required (High School Diploma or GED preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in position or specialization
- Skill operating a Point of Sales (POS) system, other in-store computerized systems, and telephone
- Ability to use judgment to identify and resolve day-to-day technical and operational problems
- Effective communication skills; able to exchange ideas and information with store leadership team, associates and consumers
- Frequently in a more active environment (i.e., requires ability to constantly move about) that can be physical or strenuous in nature (frequently adjusting/moving items weighing up to 40 lbs.), may frequently use specialized equipment, may have exposure to dust and noise
- Occasionally requires the ability to work in place
- Ability to clearly communicate with others
- Availability to work a flexible, often changing retail schedule to support needs of the business which may change seasonally and in response to business trends or forecasts
Columbia Sportswear Company and our portfolio of brands, including Columbia, SOREL, Mountain Hardwear and prAna, know a thing or two about adventures. After all, we've been on one since 1938, working to perfect the art of enjoying the outdoors. Behind everything we make is an employee who's found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that strives to do the right thing.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.