At a Glance:
This position is based in Portland, Oregon and work is performed in a hybrid environment.
The world’s fastest-growing sports brand is seeking a Performance Footwear Design Lead in NAM to start-up and lead the next chapter of growth in the US market. Based in Portland, yet being onboarded and reporting to Footwear Design in Zurich, this pivotal role will build up the Footwear design hub for NAM, making sure On’s original design language, culture and philosophy is correctly interpreted and applied by a new team, geographically independent from HQ.
It’s our purpose to disrupt the footwear market with innovative, highly functional designs. Understanding the consumer’s needs, we translate them into efficient and successful products that are both functional and design-driven. The team understands run culture in and out. Through that we deliver performance without compromising on style, working at the intersection of design, innovation, product management, development and testing.
- As the footwear design lead in NAM, execute the direction, ideation, conception and design of On’s footwear concepts in close collaboration with the Zurich based design team and product creation teams to achieve a holistic brand image across product categories
- You will develop concepts, mock-ups, visuals, 2D and 3D files for new projects
- You will fuel the team with the latest trends in the industry in North America and fashion/streetwear scene but you also have that gut feel on what to design next without relying on forecasts of trend researchers
- You think out of the box when designing new products and you’re courageous to come up with unique designs that disrupt the market. Having the ability to balance performance and industry trend while maintaining consumer relevance
- Sustainability is not just marketing for you it’s a key component of your everyday work
- You bring fundamental knowledge of industry standards and you have the goal to set the bar higher
- You will start up the next chapter of Footwear Design at On. Therefore, you will go in with an entrepreneur mentality, which includes being flexible in adapting to new circumstances and showing resilience in coping with the unforeseen
- You hold a bachelor or master’s degree in product/industrial design
- You have at least 5 years of performance footwear design or footwear design engineering experience with a major footwear brand, ideally in the North American athletic footwear industry
- Experience in leading teams, being able to grow and inspire others and taking the lead and being accountable; at the same time being a team player with a positive can do attitude
- Extensive experience in the athletic footwear industry, with a proven track record of successful footwear product designs and willingness to work hands-on
- Advanced knowledge of innovative footwear materials and manufacturing processes
- You have excellent 2D software skills (Adobe CS), 3D software skills (Modo, Cinema 4D) are definitely a plus
- You have an innovative mind with a strong drive to pushing the boundaries of footwear design
- You are able to work in a fast-moving environment and handling several projects and seasons at the same time
- You have a strong interest in working with cross-functional teams – materials, product managers, designers
- Strong communication skills (verbal & written) as well as the ability to communicate across all levels of the organization and to manage several projects in various stages
- You have excellent communication and storytelling skills in both written and spoken English
- Willingness to move to Zurich for a 6 months Onboarding within our Design team, based at the R&D headquarter
What we offer:
We offer a dynamic, challenging and sportive environment that has been ranked as the ‘fastest growing sports company’ of its time. With offices across the globe, we are an international team who is hungry to innovate and build something incredible. We foster an active environment where each individual thrives for excellence and can achieve their full potential. This is where your work matters, you’re hands-on and your team members are amongst the very best in their respective disciplines and fields.
If you are driven to bring On to the next level, curious about the opportunity and want to be part of our growing team send us your application, and join the ONiverse!
On is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a work environment that is fair and inclusive, where all decisions related to recruitment, advancement, and retention are free of discrimination. We are requesting that you provide sensitive demographic information such as gender identity and race/ethnicity to help us ensure that we are creating equitable and fair experiences for all potential future team members. You are not required to provide this demographic information and this information will in no way impact your eligibility for hire.