Combining years of experience with the latest technologies and fabrics, we are proud to create ground-breaking products that revolutionise the way people dress in the mountains. Always embracing innovation, our clothing and equipment shows a deep understanding of the environment our products are worn in and an evident passion for the outdoors.
Reporting to the Product Director, we have an exciting opportunity for a new position of Design Manager to work alongside the Head of Design in the delivery of innovative, functional, attractive and commercial products for our seasonal product ranges which fulfil the company’s strategic aims.
This is a design management role; you will be an inspiring colleague with a holistic overview of the design process, timings and required deliverables, ensuring that all design team outputs are met and in line with our critical path.
Key Responsibilities of the Design Manager (including but not limited to):
- Work with the Head of Design, and the Apparel & Equipment Design Teams in delivering innovative, functional, attractive and commercial products
- To be fully engaged in the complete design process, from origination of design concepts and briefs, including working on given briefs, to support of all range planning activities, through prototyping to sales samples and review
- Input and ensure delivery of seasonal colour palettes and ensure commercial viability and cross merchandising is viable and effective
- To update a wide knowledge of, and conduct targeted research into, the market and usage via media, trade shows, retail visits, own wear and athlete liaison
- Assist and help steer the design teams with a knowledge of performance fabrics and technologies to contribute to materials innovation and selection
- Assist and drive design teams to produce product specifications in the detail required to realise the products successfully and within cost, working closely with Development Teams
To join us as Design Manager you must have:
- A background in Design Management, Product Management, Design or Development having led or been an integral senior member of design / development teams in a previous role
- An understanding and appreciation of the global outdoor market and industry (or associated market area)
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise and meet multiple deadlines whilst adhering to a critical path timeline
- Team orientated, good negotiator and inspiring communicator, cooperative and inquisitive
- Competent in MS Office programmes
- Versatility to work on a broad range of product categories
- Experience of leading and developing an engaged and motivated team
- Experience using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Familiar with, and willing to broaden knowledge of, the different design requirements of international markets
- Previous experience of liaising with and visiting factories in Asia
- Deep involvement in the performance outdoor clothing and equipment market and experience in a similar position with relevant brands
- Excellent commercial acumen and sound judgement
- Commercial understanding of colour merchandising and range building
- Detailed understanding of fit requirements and garment construction
- Knowledge and experience of performance fabrics and technologies
What we can offer you in return:
A competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience, contributory pension scheme, 23 days holiday plus bank holidays, Life Assurance and Employee Assistance Programme. There are great staff discounts on our products, and we offer a wide range of reciprocal trade discounts on climbing, bikes, camping, sailing and running equipment.
We have a casual dress code and we operate an open and friendly company with a relaxed environment, but we work hard to get the job done. We have great modern office facilities, free on-site parking and we are proud to be a climate neutral company.
Our team is based at our Head Office just outside The Peak District National Park off jct28 of the M1 corridor.
Closing date for applications is 20 June 2022
For general enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Strictly No Agencies please
Our people are part of one team that is geared to achieving success for the company, and we are strongly committed to inclusivity, promoting equality and celebrating diversity among our staff. We are looking for people who are passionate about and can help live our values of Synergy, Ingenuity, Ambition, Determination and Integrity.