OUTGROWN YOUR OWN BACKYARD? COME PLAY IN OURS.
At Columbia, we’re as passionate about the outdoors as you are. And while our gear is available worldwide, we’re proud to be based in the Pacific Northwest, where natural wonders are our playground.
Every product we make and every task we undertake is inspired by the famous words of our founder Gert Boyle: “It’s perfect. Now make it better.” As pioneers of relentless improvement, we are constantly evolving.
We believe the outdoors is ours to protect and strive to keep our planet healthy. We believe in empowering people to experience the outdoors to the fullest.
And we believe in you.
ABOUT THE POSITION
With over 430 retail stores worldwide, our associates are essential to our business. From ensuring product availability on the sales floor to creating eye-catching visual displays to addressing customer inquiries to running an efficient check out process, our associates create memorable customer experiences while simultaneously assisting the Store Leadership team support Columbia Sportswear Company’s mission of “Connecting Active People with Their Passions.”
As a Retail Associate you’ll serve as a brand ambassador and ensure exceptional in-store experiences through positive customer interaction. Within this role you will employ your natural problem solving and sales abilities to answer customer questions and make compelling product recommendations while supporting Columbia Sportswear Companies values to enhance customer service and teamwork.
General Position Summary:
Support the Store Manager to ensure the efficient, profitable and customer-oriented operation of the Store. Provide effective guidance to the staff by demonstrating outstanding customer service. Encourage employee development and maintain performance guidelines. Train Sales Associates on store procedures including cash register transactions, customer service and procedures.
* Provide all customers with a first class service giving advice on our products to assist with their shopping experience, using the GERT guidelines.
* Perform regular daily store activities such as opening and closing procedures which include balancing registers, preparing cash bags, and activating security system.
* Ensure overall sales, customer service and profitability goals of the store are met by:
o Reviewing and guiding staff performance to ensure compliance with store policies and procedures.
o Supervising the daily activities of the store staff in all aspects of job performance to ensure sales and service goals are met.
* Assist in the training and audit processes to ensure accuracy of opening and closing procedures, cashiering, returns, good customer service tools and sales techniques, as well as all other functions of the retail operation.
* Provide coaching on a day to day basis to ensure staff performance standards are met.
* Authorize and process returns & exchanges.
* Follow company’s policies & procedures.
* Follow the company’s high professional standards in individual behaviour for the demonstration of respect, courtesy and professionalism, including attendance and timeliness.
* Act as the Assistant Store Manager in their absence.
* Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Columbia Sportswear management, merchandising staff, all other internal departments and outside suppliers in order to contribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of the organization.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Job has some variety in terms of special plans and goals. Duties are performed with only general directions and goals and work is checked or verified more by results. Decisions are made within general company policy constraints. Errors in judgment could affect the profitability of the store, through bad customer service, theft, legal issues, administrative or systems issues, and discredit the company's reputation with its customers.
Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization. Internal contacts include the store staff, the Operations Manager, the Retail trainer, Human Resources, and the distribution center. External contacts include customers and maintenance providers. Interactions focus on providing excellent customer service, daily direction and mentoring of staff, providing assistance, information exchange and training.
Specific Job Skills:
* Possess knowledge of retail management, sales techniques, KPIs, and customer service tools and ability to train others in these.
* Ability to read, write, speak, and understand the country’s official language. Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English preferred.
* Math abilities.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Excellent customer service.
* Coaching and mentoring skills.
* Ability to work independently within company guidelines, policies and procedures.
* Microsoft suite skills preferred
* Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with other company personnel and customers, and learn established guidelines. Physical ability to use telephone, computerized cash register, perform repetitive movements of the arms and shoulders, stand for extended periods of time, move freely around store, and regularly lift or carry boxes of merchandise.
Education and/or Experience:
* High school degree or equivalent.
* At least one year experience in retail or in customer services & sales, at supervisory level.
Columbia Sportswear Company and our portfolio of brands, including Columbia, SOREL, Mountain Hardwear and prAna, know a thing or two about adventures. After all, we've been on one since 1938, working to perfect the art of enjoying the outdoors. Behind everything we make is an employee who's found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that strives to do the right thing.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.