We’re looking for a passionate and experienced Designer (1 year temporary Contract – maternity cover) to join The North Face, a VF Company, and become part of the Design Team for the 'On Mountain' products, based in Stabio, Switzerland.
In this role you will be reporting to the Senior Design Manager and will be responsible as part of the European design team in the execution of the design process from initial briefing (design/trend/colour) through to sketch, prototype review and final sign off. You need to be passionate about technical performance apparel and thrive in a team environment.
At The North Face we dare to lead the world forward through Exploration. We were born to Explore. We were born to Disrupt. We were born to Lead.
What You Will Do
As a Designer for the 'On Mountain' Design team you will partner with other members of the Product Teams (design, development, materials & merchandising) to create a cohesive collection with clear story telling reflecting seasonal concept ideas.
- Have a strong knowledge of Technical Apparel Design, constructions, fabrications and how they integrate within a garment.
- Researching and identifying design ideas, fabrics, finishes and trims that work for The North Face aesthetic within the relevant product category.
- Become part of the overall organization of the design department & work closely to create smooth ways of working within calendar deadlines.
- Create technical design/CAD sketches, including adding in all details, text information, colors etc.
- Create technical graphic artwork documents, including adding in all details, text information, colors etc.
- Creation of design boards as well as power point presentations.
Working within the EMEA On Mountain Design team, you will play a vital role in bringing newness and evolving existing ranges. You will be creatively driving the on-mountain / technical performance apparel collections while ensuring alignment with the brand seasonal direction, business needs and brand values.
- Become a hands-on member of the EMEA Design Team establishing excellent collaboration to partake in aligning design, aesthetics and seasonal details
- Work in close partnership with Development, Merchandise, Materials and Design Counterparts
- Research Technical Performance Apparel and stay up to date on Outdoor styles & trends
- Research trends, fits, textiles and new technology
- Preparing all sketches for tech packs, color and divisional digital presentations
- Create brand right/market-relevant product that meets expectations in terms of value and cost.
- Have a good knowledge of pricing & fit and attend regular fitting & costing meetings
- Working closely to the seasonal calendar milestones, product timelines & seasonal objectives
- Internal and external collection presentations
- Support in driving a sustainability & circularity vision anchored around The North Face 2025 Sustainability Commitments.
How You'll Make A Difference
We are looking for a passionate team player, who brings in creative and positive energy. The North Face design team is dynamic, strong and creative and we are looking for an inspiring person full of energy who will push The North Face forward.
- 4- 6 years experience in a Performance Apparel Design role across Men’s & Women’s
- Strong understanding of technical performance apparel, constructions and fabrications
- Fluent in English- written and spoken
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Bachelor's degree or (equivalent) in Apparel Design
- Strong knowledge of 2D software; Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- High level of attention to detail needed for functional apparel.
- Team working skills, work together with other designers and design team.
- Someone who can adapt quickly, is reliable and take initiative
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive salary and benefits program with a flexible, casual work environment
- A supportive feedback-based culture where respect and integrity guide us in what we do
- An inclusive international environment where people of diverse backgrounds, lifestyles and nationalities love working together
- Be part of a company with iconic brands that operates in multiple countries
- On site gym offering health and well-being initiatives
- A discount card that offers you 50% off on all VF brands
Love wild places
Dare to disrupt
Lead with integrity
By joining The North Face, you will help provide the best gear for our athletes and the modern-day explorer. You will also have the opportunity, tools and environment to more deeply explore the world around you and make meaningful, lasting connections.
The North Face fundamental mission remains unchanged since 1966:
Provide the best gear for our athletes and the modern day explorer, support the preservation of the outdoors, and inspire a global movement of exploration.