At a Glance:
You are a holistically educated engineer or scientist with a passion for and deep knowledge in the buildup of Intellectual Property (“IP”) including all related legal topics. You will work in the interdisciplinary Innovation team consisting of material specialists, engineers, designers, sports scientist and other out of the box thinkers. Your focus will be not only be leading the process of applying and granting new patents, but also building a strong IP strategy, to ensure an innovative lead position in the industry. As a detailed oriented IP enthusiast with a wide engineering/scientific knowledge, you will be essential to define and execute the IP strategic roadmap of the fastest growing sports brand in the world.
On’s Innovation Team is responsible for On’s future innovations, revolutionary ideas and the outstanding athlete-informed technology that differentiates On products from all other sports products in the market. By joining the On Innovation Team, you will have the opportunity to be part of an agile and interdisciplinary team of experts in the areas of engineering and sports science.
More specifically, you will join the IP task force, which is part of On’s Innovation Business Strategy Team. This team brings cross-disciplinary professionals together at the service of On’s Innovation Team and beyond. Our mandate is i) to build new technology strategies and business cases, ii) to enable the On Innovation Team to drive global cross-functional projects and iii) to secure all inventions and collaborations with strategic IP and legal frameworks.
- Strengthening On’s portfolio with regards to patents and designs (not trademarks) is your priority
- Identify inventions and assess their patentability, not only in the innovation team, but within different teams across the product creation
- Accompany patent examinations and granting procedures of Ons patent applications, together with our external partners
- Execute and lead patent and prior-art researches and freedom-to-operate assessments to support the Innovation team with IP data and insights
- Set up, execute and review regular strategic IP monitorings for the teams across the product creation
- Perform white space analyses to find strategic spots for potential Innovation projects and IP expansions
- A higher degree in engineering or science with base knowledge across all common disciplines (mechanical engineering, chemistry, material science, manufacturing engineering,…)
- 3-5 years of experience either in engineering with exposure to IP/patent strategy, in an IP department or a patent law firm ideally coming from the sporting goods industry
- Passion and deep knowledge about IP creation, management, processing
- Knowledge and experience in patent research and screening, white space analysis, and freedom to operate examinations
- Experience from other innovative tech industries would be beneficial
- Passion for Innovation and out of the box thinking
- Ambitious self starter with can-do mentality and high degree of autonomous working style
- Detail orientation and a favour for structured processes
- Excellent communication skills in English (written & spoken)
What we offer:
We offer a dynamic, challenging and sportive environment that has been ranked as the ‘fastest growing sports company’ of its time. With offices across the globe, we are an international team who is hungry to innovate and build something incredible. We foster an active environment where each individual thrives for excellence and can achieve their full potential. This is where your work matters, you’re hands-on and your team members are amongst the very best in their respective disciplines and fields.
If you are driven to bring On to the next level, curious about the opportunity and want to be part of our growing team send us your application, and join the ONiverse!
On is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a work environment that is fair and inclusive, where all decisions related to recruitment, advancement, and retention are free of discrimination.