Purpose & Overall Relevance for the Organisation:
Manage and drive processes, procedures and communication with regards to the research and implementation of sustainable materials and materials innovation. Research of alternative natural fibers and/or biobased synthetics that can regrow or be refabricated to support us on our way to a lower the carbon footprint.
- Provide input regarding market trends and opportunities for innovative and sustainable materials, and likely activities of key competitors to cross-functional product creation teams.
- Create a communication strategy to all stakeholders to ensure transparency about projects.
- Ensure a smooth implementation of new processes (where applicable) by managing roll-out and trainings within the context of the project.
- Communicate and train cross-functional teams on research and development findings and opportunities.
- Provide technical and commercial advise and consult the x-functional teams regarding innovative and sustainable materials and processes.
- Ensure all legal requirements (e. g. for new materials, suppliers, external organizations, etc.) are covered and consult legal department where needed.
- Steer the prioritization and implementation process with cross-functional product creation teams.
- Collaborate with the adidas Future team in order to support brand concepts, innovation platforms and the alignment of the roadmaps of Future and material innovation inline.
- Evaluate new technologies, pull in experts where needed (Social and Environmental Affairs, Global Operations – Sustainability, Future etc.) to identify consumer benefits and relevance for brand concepts.
- Act as a material innovation consultant on a global adidas brand level.
- Lead the research and development efforts for innovative sustainable technologies in close collaboration with sourcing and key suppliers
- Implement the strategy and initiatives related to the environmental company strategy from an apparel materials perspective by creating business cases / documentation / presentations and managing projects
- Represent adidas at environmental materials related conferences and manage the relationship with external organizations and business partners
- Represent the team in x-functional/divisional environmental projects
- Act as a consultant in environmental materials topics.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise chemical engineering or natural fiber
- Good to excellent know-how in textile industry
- Expert knowledge about manufacturing process, fabrics, mechanical and chemical treatments and the associated cost structure
- Ability to effectively communicate (both written and verbal) and to lead discussions in small and larger groups
- Ability to create, plan and effectively deliver presentations in formal and informal settings
- Ability to cope with change, make decisions and act comfortably with risk and uncertainty
- Ability to clearly articulate goals and objectives to direct reports and senior management
- Ability to travel, domestic and international as required by business needs.
- Fluent English (verbal and written)
- Strong IT skills (MS office)
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Sustainable Materials or related Sustainability discipline or comparable degree/education
- Minimum of 8 years work experience in sustainability roles with emphasis on the textiles industry