Ensure the availability of sustainable materials which support the horizontal materials strategic sustainability direction to enable commercial success. Find or develop the right materials according to calendar timelines, target prices, sourcing policy and quality standards.
- Support sustainable material projects and work with supplier facing groups and supply chain to commercialize them based on category-specific needs and sustainability direction.
- Provide technical and commercial advise and consult the cross-functional teams regarding sustainable materials and processes, green chemistry, and chemicals management.
- Ensure all legal requirements (e.g. for new materials, suppliers, external organizations, etc.) are covered and consult legal department where needed.
- Ensure the availability of sustainable materials which support the strategic marketing and design direction to enable commercial success while meeting the company’s performance and environmental targets.
- Be a contact and consultant for sustainable material related questions.
- Ensure availability of correct materials data (e.g. technical data, cost, toolbox, lifecycle) in PDM/MLM.
- Ensure that all selected materials are being tested and approved by footwear quality and that compliance testing is maintained in accordance with applicable calendar timelines.
- Interact with business unit development teams and Tier1s for sustainable material or chemical finishing support and direction.
- Identify suitable sources for new material developments aligned with material sourcing strategy and guide suppliers to translate the design vision into new, innovative material which meet commercial needs of the brand.
- Initiate and monitor all material developments in close collaboration with suppliers, supplier facing teams, quality and and material development managers.
- Cooperate with cross-functional teams to create a focused material toolbox/consolidation and coach the cross-functional team on how to improve material efficiencies.
- Build and maintain a close relationship with interfaces such as design, product development, material sourcing, quality, suppliers and Futures.
- Provide latest information on sustainable material trends to the respective business units/ categories also by gathering innovative input from relevant fairs, supplier meetings, footwear material shows etc.
- T1, T2 and T3 Suppliers
- Social and Environmental Affairs (SEA)
- Liaison Offices Development and vertical materials teams
- Creation Functions Herzo, PDX
- Material and Footwear Costing
- FW Quality
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge in materials engineering and production processes in the footwear industry and the associated cost structure
- Strong understanding of footwear and material manufacturing processes (foam injection / compression molding, extrusion, vulcanization, mechanical and chemical recycling)
- Knowledge of chemistry related to footwear manufacturing
- Fluent in English, verbal and written
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- Four year college or university degree in material science or comparable degree/education
- Minimum 5 years of relevant progressive work experience