Pro-actively develop and provide materials with regards to the research and implementation of sustainable materials innovation, which support the brand strategy on sustainability and enable commercial success. Drive materials concept innovation in the respective focus area.
- Work on a long-term sustainability and communication strategy for all stakeholders and business units to ensure transparency about projects while also working with sourcing for the environmental, chemical, and social footprint of materials.
- Implement the strategy and initiatives related to the sustainable group strategy from a footwear materials perspective by creating business cases / documentation / presentations and managing projects.
- Lead the research and development efforts for innovative sustainable technologies in close collaboration with sourcing, Futures and key suppliers.
- Ensure the availability of sustainable materials, which support the strategic marketing and design direction to enable commercial success while meeting the companies sustainable targets.
- Provide input regarding market trends and opportunities for sustainable materials, and likely activities of key competitors to cross-functional product creation teams.
- Build and maintain a close relationship with interfaces such as design, marketing, vertical materials teams, material sourcing, quality, suppliers and Futures.
- Provide technical and commercial advice and consult the cross-functional teams regarding sustainable materials and processes.
- Ensure all legal requirements (e.g. for new materials, suppliers, external organizations etc.) are covered and consult legal department where needed.
- Ensure availability of correct materials data (e.g. technical data, cost, toolbox, lifecycle) in PDM/MLM.
- Act as an internal consultant in sustainable materials and chemistry topics.
- Represent adidas at sustainable materials related conferences and manage the relationship with external organizations and business partners.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge in materials engineering and production processes in the footwear industry and the associated cost structure
- Strong understanding of footwear and material manufacturing processes (foam injection / compression molding, extrusion, vulcanization, mechanical and chemical recycling)
- Ability to create, plan and effectively deliver presentations in formal and informal settings
- Ability to cope with change, make decisions and act comfortably with risk and uncertainty
- Ability to clearly articulate goals and objectives to senior management
- Fluent English (verbal and written)
- Strong IT skills (MS office)
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- Four year college or university degree in material science or comparable degree/education
- Minimum 8 years of relevant progressive work experience