Come and join us on our mission to make FATMAP the Home of the Outdoors . . .
the place where every adventure begins.
FATMAP is expanding in Product Development. We are looking for an experienced person (f/m/d) to strengthen the team with their expertise.
Build the future of outdoor adventure with us!
FATMAP is a growing Outdoor Adventure Technology Company, building the leading platform for outdoor adventure. We are revolutionising the way people discover, plan, live and share their adventures. Our advanced 3D mapping technology, outdoor toolkit and curated adventure index is used by top professionals and a fast growing community of outdoor enthusiasts, to enjoy better, safer adventure.
Who – experience and mindset
To bring FATMAP to life we maintain a complicated stack combining mapping and 3D rendering into our front-end web and mobile apps. Mapping and rendering are handled by separate teams, of which the product team is the only customer. The product team is responsible for serving adventure content, handling authentication/authorisation (including 3rd party services like Strava/Garmin), payments, and delivering a rock-solid front-end product in close collaboration with our PMs and Designers. Our web and mobile apps are served by a single Federated GraphQL gateway, combining multiple Rails-based GraphQL endpoints into a single API.
We are looking for somebody who is comfortable diving deep into all the parts of our product backend stack. This includes our Postgres (with PostGIS extension) database layer as well as the application layer which is deployed as microservices and written in different languages, such as Ruby, Go and TypeScript. You will take end-to-end responsibility for developing new features, designing and updating internal data schemata as well as exposing well defined APIs to our frontend applications.
Are you always looking behind the scenes, trying to understand how things work? Do you have hands-on experience creating functionality in a distributed system, consuming cloud services, designed to cope with shortcomings, failures or outages? Would you be excited to work on such topics in a growing, smart and eager company determined to reshape outdoor mapping? Do you love mapping and the outdoors and would like to shape a solution for the outdoors? Then FATMAP is the place to be!
See more detail on technical experience level below.
How – working here
People at FATMAP have a lot of autonomy at work. We offer a largely flexible environment. At our working hubs in Berlin (DE), Vilnius (LT), and Chamonix (FR) you’ll be able to meet up with your teammates to work on a project together or just spend some time in an office environment. We are mostly remote by nature, and hence value sync time strongly. We also value our hubs and trying to keep a balance. Still, you needn’t worry about your calendar being full of regular meetings. You work with bleeding edge technology, use and run them in development and production. You are enabled to actively create and contribute to processes and ways of working.
This also requires you to be able to work independently. You need problem solving and debugging skills, and a good dose of pragmatism.
What – responsibilities
- Design, develop and maintain the client-side backend services
- Take quality personally, functional and non-functional
- Debug and resolve errors and respond swiftly to user feedback
What – qualification and experience
- Tools & Tech:
- Rock-solid, language agnostic engineering background
- Excellent programming experience (5 years+) with one or more of the following languages: Ruby (+ActiveRecord), Go, Typescript
- Bonus if you know any of: C++, Java (in particular Android development), Python
- In-depth experience with relational databases, specifically Postgres
- Bonus for if you’ve worked with PostGIS before
- Opinions about the importance of code quality, testing, pair-programming, linting, type safety and code review are all very welcome
- You are a Git native. CI, testing, automation are all part of our day-to-day
- Strong experience with API design and GraphQL backends
- Experience with building and deploying Docker containers to cloud providers
- Bonus if you are familiar with Kubernetes and AWS
- Ability to work remotely as well as in an office environment. We communicate a lot in writing, and chat over zoom when necessary. Good English language skills are a must.
- Overall we are looking for a team player and senior developer with social and technical skills
What we offer
- 3 inspiring office hubs in Chamonix, Berlin and Vilnius
- Flexible and remote working – working adventure trips are encouraged.
- Really awesome technical setup (laptop, screens, headset etc.) of your choice
- All your outdoor gear at pro pricing
- Unlimited reference and learning materials – for your work and adventures!
- Regular team/company trips to outdoor adventure destinations
- Free use of our Chamonix apartment – 100m from the lift and surrounded by the biggest mountain range in Europe! With a stash of gear including tents, bouldering mats, sleeping bags, harnesses, ropes to borrow for free any time you like.
- New friends to explore with.