Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with ease. Driven by a desire to explore, and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, it’s komoot’s mission to inspire great adventures making them accessible to all.
Join our fully remote team and change the way people explore!
About the role
Our outdoor routing engine is one of the most advanced parts of our product. It uses fine-tuned algorithms and massive amounts of data to calculate the most scenic, safe and suitable route for sports like hiking, mountain biking & gravel riding.
You’ll lead a team of world class routing and data engineers to bring our routing engine to the next level. Think about optimizing the algorithms for new countries and sports, incorporating new data sources like heatmaps and traffic data and inventing new approaches to validate routing quality.
You will be the bridge between understanding what makes a route great (and what doesn’t!) for different target groups and translating this into concrete improvements to the algorithms.
Ready for your next adventure?
What you will do
- Work on a technically advanced product that uses advanced routing algorithms, machine learning and massive data sources like popularity data to find the best roads for every sport
- Talk to users to investigate the issues and routing requirements of different outdoor sport types
- Analyze the cultural and regulatory adjustments needed for optimal routing in many different countries
- Invent new and scalable approaches to measure routing quality and validate changes to our algorithms
- Develop a long term routing strategy and manage the product roadmap to get there.
- Work together with other product squads on large feature projects where routing plays a key role
Why you’ll love it
- You’ll change the way people explore the outdoors worldwide and your work will result in millions of happy faces and countless adventures
- You’ll work on a product that you use yourself on a daily basis, seeing the direct impact of your work when you go for your next ride
- You’ll work on the cutting edge of routing technology bringing together engineering, data science & machine learning
- You’ll take ownership of the product from day one, moving things forward, shaping the processes and choosing the tools you need to do your best work.
- This is a remote role in a fully remote international team. You are free to work from anywhere that lies between the time zones UTC-1 and UTC+3. Beach? The mountains? Or a co- working space (covered by us)?
You’ll travel with us (when safe) for team gatherings in amazing locations several times a year. You can check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote. (http://bit.ly/39xtIrn )
You will be successful in this position if
- Have 3+ years Product Management experience working on data driven optimization problems (e.g. recommendation engines, machine learning or routing technology).
- Have a technical background and worked with data, metrics & statistics in previous roles
- Regularly use online route planning tools (komoot, Strava, RideWithGPS etc).
- Are an experienced cyclist (road, mtb or gravel) and have a good understanding of the various sub-disciplines within cycling and hiking sports.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, buckets of patience, and no ego – we’re a team and have always achieved incredible results together
- Are comfortable moderating technical discussions in a team of skilled and talented professionals. You clearly communicate goals, vision and showcase complex problems and find pragmatic and smart solutions to them.
- Fluent English
- Bonus: you have worked with OpenStreetMap/ GIS data (professional or hobby) and/or are familiar with basic routing concepts.
Sound like you?
We want to hear from you! Please send us the following:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience
- A cover letter explaining who you are and why you would like to work with us
- Examples of your work/ products you have worked on
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account, or your OpenStreetMap profile if you have one.
Curious to find out more about our recruitment process?
- Find out more info here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs-process
- At komoot we want to make great adventures accessible to everyone. We support diversity and inclusivity within the outdoors and welcome all prospective applicants.
- We have a rolling recruitment process. If this role is online it means it’s still open. We’re accepting applications and actively looking for the perfect candidate. Is it you?
- Dedicated time and budget to spend on classes, events, conferences, boot camps, or books for your curiosity and personal development, you decide!
- Blinkist subscription and discounts with outdoor brands like Patagonia and Wahoo
- Flexible working hours and locations
- 3 all-expenses paid Company gatherings per year
- The latest devices and equipment